Friday, November 6, 2009

Confused about lead? We'll help you get the facts.

I have young kids, and I live in a house built in the 1920s. Naturally, I have wondered at times whether the lead that is undoubtedly in some of the paint used on my house before the 1970s is posing any harm to my kids. There seems to be conflicting information everywhere: I hear that the paint is safe as long as my kids don't eat it; that they are in danger if they touch a windowsill even if there's no visibly peeling paint; that the lead around my foundation is likely contaminated; that the best thing to do is leave it alone - or strip it - or keep my windows closed - or clean regularly - or replace my windows - or...

What's a parent to do? And what about people who don't have young kids at home - do they need to worry?

To get some answers, we asked the folks from the Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning to share their expertise on this issue. They'll help us sort out when and why lead paint poses a danger, and how to safely deal with it in ways that also respect the integrity of your historic house. This practical workshop will be held at the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, 1150 University Avenue, on Monday, November 9, at 6:30 p.m. The workshop is $25/advance, $30 at the door; or free with a new membership to The Landmark Society. You can register using our secure server. For more details, see the full schedule of Your Old House workshops or call (585) 546-7029.

Posted by Katie Eggers Comeau, Director of Preservation Services


Digg!

No comments: