Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'll take a V-8 with a size of preservation, please.

I had one of the V-8 moments today. You know the ones…when you realize you've been oblivious to something that's right in front of your face? Yeh, one of those.


See, I'm a newbie to this preservation thing. That's a fact. There is honestly not a day that goes by where I don't learn about some other facet that falls under the all-encompassing umbrella of "preservation." I've learned there is much more to this preservation thing than just keeping old buildings standing. Since I've been with The Landmark Society, I've become fascinated by the study of recent past architecture, green architecture, adaptive re-use, horticultural preservation….the list goes on.


I could wax poetic about the importance of preserving irreplaceable resources. Perhaps in another blog. But right now I want to get back to the point of this rambling brain dump, and that is to share with you my V-8 moment. To do that, I have to explain that I hike and camp in national forests all the time. In fact, one of my favorites is not too far from here – the Finger Lakes National Forest. If you've never harvested wild blueberries from this area and had open-fire-cooked griddle cakes in the morning, you haven't lived. And, if you're looking for some really interesting history, check out Camp Fossenvue and learn about this progressive incredible piece of history right in our backyards.

So why am I telling you this? I never once thought about how all of these things I love to explore with my family all fell under the umbrella of preservation. DUH.

V-8 moment, meet Laura.


Next time you're out hiking in one of our national forests, take a moment to look around at all the unique character and history within. In fact, next time you venture outside your door, take a second to check it out too. I bet the things you appreciate will be things that maybe, just maybe, also fall under "preservation" as well.


And what I'm really trying to say is read the article below. It's good.


THE NATION'S HISTORIC PLACES
Sites in National Forests at Grave Risk, Study by Preservation Group Indicates


This structure, dating from 1924, was used as a lookout for fires and is in the Salmon-Challis National Forest in Idaho. The National Trust for Historic Preservation lists the structure as a cultural resource that needs proper preservation. (Courtesy of The National Trust For Historic Preservation)

By Lyndsey Layton
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 15, 2008; Page A13

Millions of historic sites, crumbling and collapsing in national forests around the country, are in danger of being lost forever, according to a study set to be released today by a prominent preservation group.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation estimates that only a small slice of about 2 million "cultural resources" that sit on 193 million acres managed by the U.S. Forest Service have been properly preserved.

READ THE REST HERE

posted by Laura Zavala, Director of Marketing


1 comment:

Obiuser said...

very interesting information, I really like it because it can add insight for me more broadly, thank you very much for this extraordinary information
Manfaat Tanaman Peterseli Untuk Mengatasi 9 Penyakit Mata, Termasuk Katarak , Obat Benjolan Di Pipi Atau Wajah Tanpa Operasi